Welcome to Koh Chang, Thailand

The Koh Chang Tourist Police wishes you a safe and enjoyable holiday

We're on call 24 hours a day. Please don't hesistate to contact us if you require our assitance


Tourist PoliceThe Koh Chang Tourist Police Welcomes You!

The Royal Thai Tourist Police Force was established to help protect and serve the needs of foreign tourists visiting Thailand. They are an arm of the Royal Thai Police and often allow foreign nationals to join and assist them as volunteers.

So don’t be surprised if you encounter a foreign Tourist Police Officer.  They are expats who give up their free time to help visitors to Thailand in need of assistance.

Members of the Koh Chang Tourist Police create a link the Thai community and foreign visitors and as such are here to try to ensure that all visitors have a pleasant stay in on the island and elsewhere in Thailand.

They are trained to understand grievances and problems from the tourist’s point of view. However, they will also uphold the law and should not be viewed as a ‘soft touch’ when compared to the foreign community.

What does the Tourist Police do?

The Koh Chang Tourist Police can provide assistance with many things e.g. :

 – In the event of a Criminal Act:  For example, assault or robbery. We can interface with the local police and offer translation services.  Plus help contact relatives and your Embassy if required.

– In the event of a Dispute: We offer assistance with disputes between Thai nationals and foreign visitors.  For example between shop keepers, hotel staff or scooter rental businesses and customers.  In fact, disputes arising over scooter rental and damage resulting from an accident is a common issue we face.  It’s important to remember that it is illegal to ride a scooter unless you have a valid license that allows you to do this in your own country.

– Assistance with scooter and car accidents: We can help you to fill out forms, get help from your insurance company etc

– Directions and Information: Don’t worry, we offer directions and information on what ever you need on Koh Chang.

However, if you have any problems with your Visa for Thailand or damage your passport you will also need to contact the Immigration Department.  They have an office on Koh Chang where you can obtain advice.  But to extend your Tourist Visa you will have to go to the office in Laem Ngop on the mainland.  More details on how to do this at TratImmigration.com

Enjoy your holidays!



Koh Chang Resources

  • Koh Chang Guide

    If you're looking for a travel guide to Koh Chang island written by an expat resident then look no further than iamkohchang.com . All you need to know about the island . . . and more

  • Trat Immigration Office

    If you need to extend a tourist visa or obtain a Non immigrant Visa please visit the immigration offices on Koh Chang or in Laem Ngop for advice.

  • Where to stay?

    If you need some ideas about the best hotels , resorts, bungalows and guesthouses. See our quick guide our recommendations on all the different beaches.

  • Moving to Koh Chang

    Many people fall in love with Koh Chang after vacationing here. If you're interested in moving to Koh Chang to run a business or buying a holiday home here, then KohChangRealEstate.com is the site for you to check out.

  • Trat Tourist Police on Patrol July 2018

    Some photos of the Koh Chang and Trat Tourist Police at work during July.  Inspecting boats, checking on tourists’ safety on the beaches, meeting business owners and assisting visitors and expats throughout the province.

    By Admin | July 16, 2018

    Read More

  • Safety in Thailand for Tourists

    How Safe is Thailand? Overall, Thailand is a safe country to visit, but it is always sensible to take some precautions to ensure you have an enjoyable and stress free holiday: Before you go to sleep at night, ensure that your room is locked. Be sure to leave valuables, airline tickets, passports etc either in the room […]

    By Admin | May 24, 2017

    Read More